The Redwood Library and Athenaeum's collection includes more than 150 paintings, primarily portraits, dating from ca. 1659 through the 21st century. The slideshow below presents a selection from our collection, including portraits by John Smibert, Robert Feke, Gilbert Stuart and the Redwood's loyal friend and great benefactor, Charles Bird King.
Most of the furniture in the Library's collections reflects the 18th-century era of its founding. From the first purchase of a distinctive set of Windsor chairs to the gift of a chair owned by Governor Benedict Arnold, the Decorative Arts Collection of Redwood has grown through generous donations. Among these are a fine pair of celestial and terrestrial globes given by George Tiffany and a chandelier brought from England by Mrs. Guy F. Cary.